Sturgeon Aquafarms was founded in 2001 with the intent to protect and preserve endangered sturgeon species.
After successfully importing Beluga, Sevruga and Osetra broodstock on 13 trans-atlantic flights from Europe and 7 years of permit applications, they finally reached their current home near the borders of Alabama and Georgia in Bascom, Florida.
Our facility, which was built in 2009, using modern sustainable limited footprint designs, sits on 120 acres in Northwest Florida atop the Floridan aquifer which provides a consistent 19C water temperature, long periods of sunlight, drinking grade water, free of pollutants and disease and an area free of natural predators. Over the past 5 years we have focused on our hatchery development and sexing techniques having used the most advanced ultrasound possible.
From 2011-2014 we spawned numerous generations of Beluga producing more than is believed to exist in the Caspian Sea. We then followed with further generations of Sevruga, Sterlet, Osetra and Siberian sturgeon. Our operation has been so successful that we have grown over 80,000 sturgeon which has pushed us to advance sustainable aquaculture and sturgeon rearing technology.
As the only company in possession of these critically endangered species in the United States, we have a unique position to not only contribute to the conservation of these species but to educate the public in the trade of caviar and sturgeon meat, a new product for the U.S. market.
As of 2016, our original broodstock have reached a size of over 150kg and continue to provide valuable offspring for the expansion of our facility as one of the largest of its kind in the world.
Species and products available at SAF
- Beluga (Huso huso)
- Meat, hide, isinglass, notocord, fertilized eggs and larvae.
- Sevruga (Acipenser stellatus)
- Meat, Caviar, hide, isinglass, notocord, fertilized eggs and larvae.
- Sterlet (Acipenser ruthenus)
- Meat, Caviar, fertilized eggs and larvae.
- Russian Osetra (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii)
- Siberian (Acipenser baerii)
Why Sturgeon Aquafarms?
- Sturgeon Aquafarms is the only farm in the United States housing Beluga, Sevruga and Sterlet sturgeon.
- Sturgeon Aquafarms uses Floridan Aquifer water, the same water used as drinking water for Florida residents, to raise its fish.
- Sturgeon Aquafarms uses only natural feed, free of hormones, antibiotics and other pollutants, which ensures a high nutritional value and the highest quality meat and caviar.
- Sturgeon Aquafarms team includes past members of the U.N., CITES and scientists from local and foreign universities who assist us in our re-population and reproductive efforts.
- Prevent population extinction
- Preserve the genetic diversity of captive and wild populations
- Develop sturgeon aquaculture to lower market pressure on wild populations
- Produce high-quality domestic sturgeon products with minimal environmental impact
- Participate in global conservation
- Educate consumers on the sturgeon trade